To treat bacteria generated skin diseases, urinary tract infections and Pharyngitis and Tonsillitis, Cefadroxil is prescribed as one cephalosporin antibiotic, good to treat certain infections. Still, it does not work for flu, colds and viral infections. Cephalosporins prevent bacteria from expanding as these antibiotics break the wall, which protects bacteria to keep its existence intact. Bacteria cannot stay alive without the wall. Therefore, cephalosporins work best when chances for bacteria to multiply are high and forming cell walls is random.
What is The Prescribed Dosage?
Although physician prescription is required for Cefadroxil purchase, administered orally with or without food, for Urinary Tract Infections, the medication is given each day for 1 or 2 g in a solitary, for Skin and Skin Structure Infections, the typical measurement is 1 g each day, for Pharyngitis and Tonsillitis 1 g each day in single is normally endorsed. However, dosage differs in terms of children, like 30 mg/kg/day in equally divided doses.
How should this medicine be used?
Cefadroxil is available in both tablet and liquid form. This medicine is taken generally once a day for ten days maximum. The instruction and direction should be read properly, and if there is any part not clearly understood, the pharmacist should be asked to explain further. While consuming liquid, it should be well shaken so that nothing remains at the bottom and everything mixes evenly. The capsules and tablets should be consumed with a full glass of water. The course should be completed even if the ailment is not there anymore.
What precautions should I take?
- If you are allergic, you must inform your doctor before cefadroxil intake. This product is known to contain few ingredients, which may cause allergies, so if you are sensitive to allergic reactions, don’t forget to talk to your pharmacist for proper guidance.
- Do tell the doctor about your medical history, especially when you have an intestinal disease or kidney disease. Older adults tend to grow kidney malfunction, and with this medicine, their condition may worsen.
- When you are pregnant or planning to have a baby or breastfeeding, talk clearly to the physician when you are prescribed cefadroxil.
- When you have undergone surgery, even if dental surgery, right before taking cefadroxil, you must talk to your physician.
What side effects I may undergo?
- Among the side effects, you may experience vomiting, nausea and diarrhoea. If any of these symptoms persist, then you must talk to your physician and pharmacist.
- When you have continual abdominal pain, yellowing eyes, dark urine, persistent sore throat, new signs of infection, bleeding, mood changes, easy bruising are the symptoms you may experience. However, you must not overlook and talk to your doctor.
In rare case, this medication may cause severe intestinal condition, oral thrush, even new vaginal yeast infection, so if you find a white bit in your mouth or if there is any change in your vaginal discharge or periods. Without making any delay, you should talk to your doctor.